Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Stranger than Fiction

I am not generally a Will Ferrell fan (his brand of slap stick is generally not to my taste) but my parents convinced me that this was a movie I needed to see. They were right. It is a wonderful movie about getting lost in and saved by the mundane details in life. I suggest you watch it. My favorite scene in the movie isn't something you can capture in a quotation. It is when the main character Harold Crick (Will Ferrell) snaps. This measured mild man begins smashing up all the things in his apartment. It is beautiful and funny and sad and true (if you get this reference you get two gold stars).

This is another great exchange in the movie I decided to share with you.

Harold Crick is explaining to Dr. Jules Hilbert (Dustin Hoffman) a literature professor what the narrator had said...
Harold Crick: "Little did he know that this simple seemingly innocuous act would result in his imminent death."
Dr. Jules Hilbert: Little did he know. That means there's something he doesn't know, which means there's something you don't know, did you know that?

No comments: