Thursday, August 9, 2007

Pearls Before Swine

I have been doing a little background reading on my favorite comic strip, Pearls Before Swine. The name of the strip comes from Matthew 7:6:

Do not give dogs what is sacred; do not throw your pearls to pigs. If you do, they may trample them under their feet, and then turn and tear you to pieces.

The comic strip is explained as a "tale of two friends: a megalomaniacal Rat who thinks he knows it all and a slow-witted Pig who doesn't know any better. Together, this pair offers caustic commentary on humanity's quest for the unattainable. ... In this case, Rat believes that he is an endless source of wisdom, and that it is wasted upon Pig, who is rather slow. In truth, neither of them is very smart, but while Pig is content with his humble status in life, Rat is always on a futile search for fame, riches and immortality.

Check it out at http://www.comics.com/comics/pearls/archive/pearls-20070715.html

Question of the week...
What is your favorite comic strip/cartoon and why?

3 comments:

bethany said...

that link is funny.

i love the simpsons--it is such a beautiful mix of tenderness, intelligence, hilarity, stupidity, and heart.

Alexis said...

Favorite:
TV Cartoons, Futurama-oh why did that show get cancelled, Good Lord it's funny

Print Cartoons-The Far Side-a cartoon that is creepy and perfect; Calvin and Hobbes-I also talk to my stuffed Tiger, so I feel a kinship. why are all my favorite things cancelled?
I also used to love X-men and transformers, oh wait I still love them.

T Gonzales said...

I never really appreciated cartoons when I was younger (still not sure I do that much now), but I LOVED watching 'Recess' when I was in college. If you have not seen this, you need to! I still want to see the movie (not sure I ever did)...Um, I just added it to the list.

In terms of comics (didn't get into this until high school), I always liked 'The Born Loser'. I don't even know if it's that funny, but I love the way the guy looks and it's title is hilarious! And, of course, Boondocks is GENIUS. My friend has one hanging on the wall that always, always makes me laugh. It doesn't matter how many times I've read it.